Do you have a love/hate relationship with your home’s carpeting? Carpeting can really add to your home’s appeal until you spill coffee or your favorite red wine on it. If you’re looking for carpet cleaning tips you’re in the right spot. Here are Molly Maid’s tips to make your carpet last:
- Use Welcome Mats. Carpet can really get dirty fast in homes where people don’t remove their shoes at the door. To prevent everyday dirt from becoming stains, use a welcome mat to capture dirt at the door and regularly vacuum those mats – and vacuum underneath them if possible.
- Keep Club Soda Handy. Not sure how to remove red wine or coffee from your carpet? It’s simple, but you have to act fast in order for it to work. Immediately after the spill, sprinkle salt on the area to prevent it from staining; pour the club soda on the stain but don’t oversaturate it; then blot (DON’T SCRUB) the area with a clean cloth until dry. This method works great with pet accidents, too.
- Groom Fido and Fluffy, A LOT. We know your four-legged friends are members of the family and they need special attention to make sure your home doesn’t turn into one giant hairball. Brush your dog or cat regularly to remove loose hair, and if you can brush them outside that’s even better; give them regular baths to keep the hair and dander count down; and put a large towel or sheet over your pet’s favorite chair or spot on the floor.
- Get in Line. Nothing shows off a well-cared-for home like lines in a freshly vacuumed carpet. If your carpet has no lines after vacuuming, it may be time to consider a new vacuum. Not sure how to properly vacuum your home? Don’t sweat it. We wrote on blog post about that, too: How to Vacuum: Yes, apparently you do need vacuuming tips!
- Bonus Tip: Did you know that in one hour a 135-pound woman can burn up to 180 calories vacuuming?
What do you think of our carpet cleaning tips? Have a tip of your own? Please share it in the comments box below.